There are many reasons why people volunteer and here are just some of them:
- Volunteering can help you get or stay fit and healthy in mind and body. Studies have shown that regular volunteering can have a positive effect on physical and mental health and wellbeing.
- Volunteering can help you make new friends – useful if you are new to an area or want to expand your social networks.
- Volunteering can help you find work if you are jobless or find a better job if you are already working. It allows you to gain new or develop existing skills and qualifications and build your confidence.
- Volunteering can be a way of fulfilling your ambitions when your career hasn’t led you in the direction you expected.
- Volunteering can allow you to challenge yourself and experience things you might not otherwise get a chance to do.
- Volunteering gives you a chance to make a difference, put something back into your community or take up a cause you believe in.
- Volunteering can open new and unexpected doors to you – you never know where your volunteering could take you.
- Last, but by no means least, volunteering should be fun! Enjoy yourself and maybe get your friends involved too?
page provides lots of useful information to help clear up the confusion for people who claim benefits and would like to get involved in volunteering.
Join 140,000 other people volunteering in Cornwall by visiting the ‘do-it’ site to find your ideal volunteering opportunity right now.
To get started, begin to type in your local town or postcode into the widget above, choose from the drop down list of postcodes that appear and click search to open a new page with the results of nearby opportunities. (N.B. Make sure the cursor remains within the do-it box or you will not be able to type in the postcode box)
You can then narrow down the results with the advanced searching options on the Do-It.org website to tailor the results to your interests and availability.