Volunteer Cornwall is gearing up to say a huge ‘Thank You’ to volunteers all around the county during Volunteers Week which runs from 1st until 7th June 2019. We’ll be highlighting the great work undertaken by our partner organisations and acknowledging the commitment people give to helping others. If you want to say ‘thank you’ to a volunteer, now is your chance!
Please feel free to drop us your good news stories, to help us celebrate all things related to helping others - in whatever form it takes!
Voluntary organisations can visit www.volunteersweek.org to find out more information.
We are geared up to use every opportunity to highlight the great work that happens around the county. Below is a flavour of what will be happening in aid of the ‘Big Thank You’
Monday 3rd June
10am – 3pm at Volunteer Cornwall, Acorn House
Does cake play a large part in how you support your volunteers?
Come and see us on 3rd June to celebrate all things volunteering and volunteers. And take part in some micro volunteering for Volunteers week.
We will have an open day here at Volunteer Cornwall from 10am to 3pm.
- Do you have a question about using Do it?
- Bring in your role volunteer descriptions for Lorna to give the “once-over”
- Share ways to use social media?
- Hear about our latest Health & Wellbeing Campaign to help find and recruit volunteers
- What do you need to know about managing volunteers?
- Are you updated on the latest safeguarding news? – are you a ‘safe‘ organisation?
- What do volunteers really want?
- And does cake really work?
PLUS take part in micro volunteering with us…
- Knit with our Natter - supporting our local hospital – Join us in knitting some Beanie hats which are used as part of a Red/Amber/Green rating system of the support needed feeding and caring for newborn babies. Lorna will show you how – no prior experience necessary.
- Create a lovely thank you card to take back and give to your volunteers.
- Create a video thank you to volunteers
- The ‘You Rock’ campaign starts here – paint your rock and take it back to your workplace and then send us a photo with your volunteers to add to our thank you gallery. #VolunteeringRocks
Book the date in your diary now with Marianne, Andrew, Lorna and the VC Team...
12.30 until 3.30 – The Volunteer Cornwall Magical Bus Tour, Kerrier District
The Volunteer Cornwall mini-bus does a great job of transporting thousands of passengers a year around the county and now is your chance to find out more about the fantastic work done by our volunteer drivers each year. There will also be an opportunity to sign up as a volunteer driver if you want to, as well as discovering the opportunities for volunteering around your area.
The tour might be coming your way on that day – so, look out for our famous minibus!
3.30 Chaos Café Truro
Suzanne Wixey, Service Director, Adult Care & Support at Cornwall Council will be joining volunteers and staff at CHAOS Café to say ‘thank you’ for the support given by volunteers across the health & care system. CHAOS (Community Helping All of Society) works with vulnerable and disadvantaged people, engaging them in meaningful activities and delivering employability opportunities to support them in accessing work in their community.
Tuesday 4th June
10 – 12 Age Uk (Cornwall & IoS) Day Centre, Falmouth
Jonathon Price who is Service Director Transformation & Commissioning, Adult Services at Cornwall Council, will be visiting the centre to thank volunteers for the amazing work that they do across Cornwall supporting elderly and vulnerable people.
Wednesday 5th June
All Day, Newquay Library
Join our Mid Cornwall Community Maker, Bill Davies, in Newquay Library where he will be based all day. He will be joined throughout the day by special guests to speak to Newquay residents about opportunities to volunteer.
12.30-2pm, Volunteer Cornwall, Acorn House, Truro
We are rolling out the red carpet for a visit by Kate Shield, Chief Executive of the Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust. Kate recognizes the invaluable support volunteers provide to patients and staff of the Trust. She will be joining us for lunch with a few volunteers, here at VC Towers.
Thursday 6th June
11-1pm Liskerrett Centre in Liskeard
Jackie Pendleton, Chief Executive of NHS Kernow, is dropping in to see the great things happening in the Liskerrett Centre, to help celebrate and acknowledge the hard work undertaken by an army of volunteers that help deliver community-based activity across Cornwall day-in and day-out and keep vital centres like this one running.
Friday 7th June
Time TBC, Stennack Surgery, St Ives.
Jack Cordery - Service Director, Cornwall Council Children & Family Services will be meeting volunteers who provide a range of services for local children, young people and their families from the practice.