Advice & Guidance
Volunteer Cornwall is the volunteering charity for Cornwall. Part of our role is to support voluntary, community and public sector organisations to find volunteers.
The benefits of engaging with volunteers are well known but you may not be aware of the range of help and advice we are able to offer:
- Targeting your marketing at the right audience
- Composing your volunteer role description
- Getting the message out through newspaper and other media
- Placing your opportunity on the national volunteering database: do-it.org
- Advise on how best to market your opportunities
We already support over 1000 Voluntary and community groups across the county offering continued support to fill their volunteer placements. Additionally we have a range of projects and schemes that can offer extra support for particular client groups (such as those looking to return to work or with learning disabilities).
We have staff in East, Mid and West Cornwall that are able to meet and offer support on an appointment basis.
Our Training Team work with individuals and organisations to meet individual training needs with cost effective and appropriate options. We deliver high-quality training in a range of subject areas using enthusiastic and passionate tutors.
We have been delivering Volunteer Management qualifications since 2012 and now deliver the ILM Level 3 & 4 qualifications in Leadership & Management. We also continue to offer a range of solutions ranging from half-day good practice sessions and workshops through to nationally accredited courses.
What you can expect from us
- Excellent pass rates
- Enthusiastic and passionate trainers
- A relaxed but professional environment
- Accredited courses with highly regarded awarding bodies
- Tailored solutions for your individual or organisational training needs
- Extensive training experience
- Excellent learner feedback
- Solutions for funding bids with a training delivery plan
- Advice in relation to meeting funding outputs and what training can be put in place
Whatever your training requirements please give us a call on 01872 266987
How to Recruit Volunteers
Top Five Tips for Recruiting & Keeping Volunteers
Most of the host organisations we recruit volunteers for are always on the look out for more volunteers. So how can you boost your chances of being the cause or charity someone chooses to donate their time to? Here are our Top 5 Tips:
1) Make your ad stand out. Remember you are competing with hundreds of good causes and thousands of volunteering placements. Ask someone not associated with your cause to read your volunteer ad and give honest feedback – does it entice them?
2) Keep it flexible. The more flexibility you can offer with things like times and roles, the more people will be interested in applying. Have you considered allowing volunteers to set their own times or volunteer from home, for example?
3) Be clear about the benefits of volunteering with your organisation. What do you offer? Do you pay travel expenses, provide lunch or refreshments, allow volunteers to have a say in the running of the task?
4) Give your volunteers feedback. Offer individual appraisals to talk about how they are getting on but try and focus too on what difference they are making. That’s why people volunteer, after all.
5) Recognise and reward your volunteers. Certificates to recognise a volunteers efforts or just the occasional “thank you” can make the difference between a volunteer staying put or moving on. Why not nominate your volunteers for the ‘Cornwall Celebrates Volunteering’ Awards?
Volunteer Cornwall no longer provide a general checking service and we recommend charities and community groups who require this use the online system – which is quick and efficient – operated by Cornwall Council.